Last Saturday, I took a break from the Thai curries, and decided to make an Indian curry; Chicken Tikka Masala. There are numerous variations of this recipe, but I wanted to make one that (I thought) the whole family would like.
It turned out to be a bit too spicy for the wee ones, but Jesse and I really liked it. This recipe serves 6-8
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (either 3 or 4 breasts)
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup plain, lowfat or non-fat yogurt
- 1 large yellow/sweet onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 32 oz. Hunts(TM) Petite Diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Thai chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons canned (and drained) green chiles
- 1/4 Teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (at room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 Tablespoon Tumeric
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen peas
- 4 Tablespoons salted sweet cream butter
TO PREPARE THE CHICKEN:
- Season the chicken breasts with ground cumin, ground coriander, and salt
- Coat each chicken breast with plain yogurt
- Grill over medium heat until cooked through - about 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes
- Dice cooked chicken into 1" pieces, and set aside
TO PREPARE THE CURRY:
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter in a medium-sized skillet
- Add the diced onions, and saute until golden (about 5 minutes)
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger, as well as 1/2 Teaspoon of salt to the onions and saute 2 minutes
- Add 3 Tablespoons of Garam Masala spice and 1 Teaspoon Thai chili powder to the saute pan, as well as 2 Tablespoons canned (drained) green chiles. Stir to coat ingredients with Garam Masala
- Next, add the petite diced tomatoes and their juices (remove any pieces of tomato that look green/yellow, and discard), and 1/4 Teaspoon white sugar. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally
- Right before serving, add 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream, diced chicken breast, and 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Serve over rice
TO PREPARE THE RICE:
- Place 2 cups Basmati rice, 1 Tablespoon Tumeric, 4 Tablespoons salted sweet cream butter and 4 cups of water in a rice cooker. Set to cook and walk away.
- When rice finishes cooking, open rice cooker and add the frozen green peas, stirring to combine and heat peas. Let sit 3 minutes until peas are cooked through.
Spoon rice onto each plate, top with curry/chicken mixture and enjoy!
We served this with fresh vegetarian spring rolls and some garlic Indian Naan bread.