For dinner last night, I went out on a limb and made a new recipe for the family. Yep, that's right; even the kids were guinea pigs with this one. I figured since they like similar dishes, this one would be ok for them. I served it with turkey burgers (I didn't take pics of those), made with ground turkey, cottage cheese, lipton onion soup mix, finely diced onions and chopped fresh parsley. The burgers are always a hit; our family of 5 goes through 12 burgers!
Ok, back to the salad. As with many dishes I've made lately, this one is also inspired by Cooking Light. It takes a bit of time to prepare/chop the ingredients, but I think it's well worth it.
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 stalks/heads of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups of cherry/sweet tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 1/2 cups of avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup of red onion, sliced very thinly, and cut into 1.5" strips
- 1 can of sweet corn, rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans (or black beans, if you prefer) rinsed
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobe sauce (from the canned chiles)
- juice from one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chile powder (I used chipotle pepper powder)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing, and use additional lime juice and/or liquid from the canned sweet corn to thin out if desired
- Add adobo sauce if you'd like the dressing spicier
- Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing until fully coated
This was more than enough to feed our family, so be prepared for leftovers if you aren't feeding 8 people!