About a year ago, my husband was attending school a few nights a week and I was left to figure out dinner for the family all on my own.
Having about 3 years of real cooking under my belt at that point, I started to branch out and "create" recipes, rather than "follow" them.
The clear winner was the Mexican Lasagna, which I will be making for the family tonight. It's very simple, but takes a bit of time to assemble. It can be made ahead and frozen - just remember to thaw it a few hours before you bake it.
One 9x13 pan will feed our family of 5... so I guess it's probably 15 servings or so :-)
- 1 jar of Target brand Archer Farms(TM) Chili Verde Cooking Sauce
- 1 package of Target brand Archer Farms(TM) Whole Wheat Tortillas (you can use any tortillas, but these have a wonderful, sweet flavor, and they really DO make a difference)
- 1 can Green Enchilada sauce - any brand
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can of sweet corn, drained - any brand
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed - any brand
- 1 can of diced green chiles, drained - any brand
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 bunch of green/spring onions, sliced
- 4 cups of shredded taco or mexican blend cheese
- Crystal Farms(TM) Chipotle Cheddar cheese - found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store by the other brick cheeses *
- 4 diced Roma tomatoes, for garnish
- 1 head of lettuce, shredded / 1 bag of shredded lettuce
- salsa, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- In a slow cooker, place the chicken breasts, Archer Farms(TM) Chile Verde sauce and Enchilada sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When chicken is cooked through and tender, remove from sauce and shred on a platter. This can be done using 2 forks. Reserve sauce from the slow cooker - you will use it in the lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat the bottom and sides of a deep, 9"x13" baking pan with a few small ladles-full of sauce from the slow cooker
- Place 2 whole what tortillas in the bottom of the pan, trimming if necessary
- Top with 1/3 of the shredded chicken, then layer on 1/3 of the black beans, corn, cilantro, green onions and green chiles
- Next, spoon on 1/3 of the sauce from the slow cooker, and top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese
- Top with 2 more tortillas and repeat the process, layering as you would a regular lasagna
- Finish the process with a layer of cheese on top.
- *If you found the Chipotle Cheddar cheese, use this on the top of the lasagna, in addition to the mexican/taco cheese you used throughout the other layers. This smoky cheese has great flavor!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes before slicing
- Serve with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream and salsa